Consumer Protection for People in Debt
The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) was passed in 1978 to stop abusive collection activities. It contains guidelines for companies involved in the collection of money on behalf of another individual or entity. The law protects consumers from abusive collection practices such as:
- Making repeated phone calls
- Calling before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- Using derogatory, foul or abusive language
- Contacting someone that is represented by a lawyer
- Misrepresenting the type and amount of the debt
- Pretending to be part of a government agency
- Accusing you of having committed a criminal offense
- Threatening legal action when no such action is intended
- Continuing to call after being informed in writing not to
Contact David Holland Law immediately if you are being harassed by a collection company or believe the collector is engaged in illegal practices. Violations of the law can result in harsh penalties, including forcing the creditor to pay you damages and your legal fees and costs.
David Holland Law is an experienced debt defense attorney that is committed to protecting the rights of his clients. Our firm will take aggressive action in cases involving collection agency harassment and other unlawful acts. We believe any collection company violating federal collection statutes should be held accountable for their unlawful activities.
Manatee and Sarasota Debt Defense Attorney
When a consumer is involved with a collection company, their rights are protected under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The act was implemented to protect consumers from collection agency harassment, abuse and deception. Our firm will make sure these rights are upheld and the collection company penalized for their illegal actions.
We offer a free consultation where you can discuss your situation and receive legal advice on how to stop the abuse. Contact David Holland Law today for committed representation if you are the victim of creditor harassment and abuse.